Friday 23 July 2010

To Burqa or not to Burqa?


I’m all about free living, gay, straight, black, white, fat thin and a few transgendered beings just to shake the system up. No-one should tell you how to live your life as long as your not on some murder rampage or spying or little children . . . then you should be killed with a spoon slowly. But I really am in two minds over the Burqa debate, you have one side of the Muslim female community who want to wear their Burqa’s as their proud of their religion and what they believe in and good for them. Then there’s the other half who are forced to wear them, what kind of a life is that seeing this world we life in through a slit of fabric.

On a daily basis I see Burqa’s floating past Harvey Nichols and getting out of the back of their chauffer driven Bentleys. They don’t look like they have a care in the world and every now and then you’ll see a glimpse of next seasons Gucci stiletto poke out the bottom of their Swarovski encrusted Burqa . . .

Infact as a community (of which I am very sheltered to) these woman seem to the height of glamour as they laugh their way into Boodles occasionally raising an immaculate brow to the security to ensure they don’t let anyone else in while their shopping. I went on a trip to Morocco a couple of years ago and whilst in Marrakech it was encouraged that I wore a scarf over my head, this didn’t exactly gel well with me however through gritted teeth I covered my fabulous face so I could blend in with the crowd. Suffocating doesn’t come near it i just wanted to wear what i was comfortable in but respecting other peoples culture is of importance so not to offend.

France has banned the Burqa and Italy followed this trend and for a change England is considering joining forces with this idea. But what are we setting ourselves up for? Will we become a target for terrorist bombing or will we just put of Muslims (I am referring to those who have arrived here legitimately through visa’s and who spend vast amounts of money in this country!) from setting up home here and becoming part of our struggling economy.

I don’t necessarily think we should ban the Burqa but have rule of our own where you only wear it if you want to, I feel for these woman who are forced to wear it and perhaps that’s what should be banned rather than a countries culture. Many of the worlds finest designers have a line targeted for Muslim woman celebrating their lifestyle choices and perhaps we to should start looking at things through fresh eyes.

Portia x

No comments:

Post a Comment