Friday 25 June 2010

WIMBLEDON + TINA TURNER = AMAZING!!!


I don’t pretend to be a huge sports fan. The World Cup gets my attention mainly because I can check out the hot foreign players (those who know me, know my penchant for large foreheaded, square jawed Moorish looking men) but for some reason this year I’ve become very interested in Wimbledon. In truth this is mainly due to an article I saw on the Daily Mail which compared Venus Williams’ out fit to that of a Tina Turner show costume.

I really love Tina Turner… I’d quite like to be the love child that she had with Rod Stewart when they met on a rainy night in Georgia. Anyhow I digress, the whole comparison got me a thinking about some of the Wimbledon outfits we’ve been subjected to over the years.

To be frank the outfits from the 1860’s were pretty horrendous- how you are supposed to serve, run and volley when restricted by an ankle length skirt and tie for Christ’s sake?

By 1919 things had been shaken up - something to do with the 1st World War and some volatile suffragettes. However it was still pretty dowdy and nothing compared to the sights we see on today’s courts.

My personal fave is Gertrude Moran’s outfit in 1949. The ensemble caused an absolute outrage mainly because it allowed her to flash her lace knickers- something which happens so much nowadays we don’t even bat an eyelid.

Fast forward to 2010 and all the players at Wimbledon are busting out fashion led court attire. If it isn’t Caroline Wozniacki sporting a Stella McCartney for Adidas then Sharapova is prancing around in a ‘Lawn Rose’ Nike dress. Although in my opinion neither of these top the Venus Williams, Tina Turner inspired dress you’ve got to give them top marks for trying.


GAME SET MATCH
Lauren xxx

1 comment: